Often when on a translating trip at the hospital or local school with my mother or a neighbor, another person—a Spanish-speaking stranger—would also require and request translating assistance.  The role as “go-between helped in my later radicalization because I got to see institutional practices up close.  I got to feel the disdain and injustices with which people, bureaucrats, and institutions responded to Puerto Ricans.  I experienced the mistreatment and humiliation (1429).

In this passage from PALANTE, SIEMPRE PALANTE! : The Young Lords –A CHILDHOOD AS “GO-BETWEEN” Iris Morales discusses her life growing up and attaining her role as translator within her family and friends.  Morales deemed herself the link between theAmerican culture and the Puerto Rican culture for her parents.  She assisted her parents as well as neighbors and strangers with translating the language.  Morales experienced first hand the social injustices that Puerto Ricans face in America.  The prejudices which Morales experience directly derive from being poor, darker skinned, and speaking a different language.  The scenes of disrespect and disgrace become implanted in a person’s psyche.  Throughout the history of the United States racist practices against minorities is not uncommon (the darker the skin the more prevalent).  Morales eventually utilize these experiences to pursue a militant civil rights movement with the Young Lord Organization to ensure that the government takes more responsibility for the living conditions and social struggles in the Latino communities.